The Battle of the Bulge from Dinant to Bastogne (World War 2)
Now more than 70 years ago, and still so present ...
A tribute to all these young men who perished fighting for the freedom we enjoy today.
Private Guided One Day Battle Of The Bulge Tour from Dinant to Bastogne (WWII)
We leave Dinant and pass by the Bayard rock where an engraved stone indicates the place where three German soldiers, driving an American Jeep and dressed in American uniforms, jumped on a mine. It is the closest point to the Meuse reached by the Germans during the Offensive of the Ardennes.
At the Celles crossroad we will also see a tank of the 2e Panzer Division.
We'll stop, on our way to Bastogne, at the village of Bande, were 34 young civilians were shot and dumped into the cellar of a destroyed house, on Christmas Eve 1944 (Bande Massacre).
In Bastogne, we start the tour on the McAuliffe Square (11th Armored Division "Thunderbolt" Sherman tank, "Road to Liberty" milestone and the McAuliffe Monument), drive then to
- Assenois ("pillbox" where Lt. Boggess met the 101th Airborne Division, thus breaking the encirclement of Bastogne),
- Patton Monument
- into the G-D of Luxembourg (Schumann's Eck) and back to Belgium
- Mardasson Memorial
- Monument to the 101th Airborne Division
- Bois Jacques (foxholes of the "Easy Company", well-known from the "Band of Brothers" series, in the Jack's Woods)
- Recogne (US Temporary Cemetery & German Cemetery)
- Noville (Combat Team Desobry)
Depending on time available,
- Bastogne Barracks (McAuliffe's "nuts") & Cemetery (Nurse Renée Lemaire's grave, known from the "Band of Brothers" series)
- dropping zone (ammunitions-food-medicines by parachute, gliders)
- Hemroulle (bed sheets)
- Rolley (castle-farm)
before driving back to Dinant.
Some pictures of this tour are available on Google Photos
Private Guided Long Day Tour from Dinant to the Northern Shoulder of The Battle Of The Bulge (WWII)
I also offer a Long Day Tour out of Dinant into the Northern Shoulder of The Battle the Bulge.
We leave Dinant for
- La Roche en Ardenne (closing the gap)
- Baraque Fraiture (Parker's Crossroad)
- (via St-Vith)
- into Germany (Dragon Theet on the Siegfried Line near Hollerath)
- (via Losheimergraben, back into Belgium)
- The Twin Villages of Krinkelt - Rocherath (Memorials to the 2nd 'Indian Head' I.D. & 99th 'Battle Babies' I.D.)
- Elsenborn Ridge
- (via Butgenbach & Waimes)
- Baugnez (Malmedy Massacre)
- (via Malmedy & Stavelot, direction Trois-Ponts)
- La Gleize (King Tiger II Panzer)
- via Castle of Froidcour (view from the road), Cheneux (Peiper's Pillbox), Neufmoulin (destroyed bridge) and Werbomont (monument)
Back to Dinant
Some pictures are available on Google Photos
IMPORTANT to note: I am not a historian or Battle of the Bulge / Bastogne Battlefield expert.
This tour is therefore more an "escorted" tour to places where it happened, but I will take you to places where others will not necessarily take you.